Australian and New Zealand Academy of Periodontists (ANZAP) is the official Academy for Periodontists within Australia and New Zealand.
- To be the peak body for Periodontics
- To set and maintain standards of training and care
- To represent and support academy members
- To promote Periodontology for the benefit of the public
To promote the dental and general health of the community through the advancement of Periodontology in research, education and clinical practice; and to maintain the highest ethical and professional standards amongst member Periodontists.
The objectives of the Academy shall be:
- To promote the dental and general health of the community through improved periodontal knowledge and care.
- To support the interests of Members in the practice and teaching of Periodontics and the advancement of Periodontics in general.
- To encourage and maintain the study of Periodontics and the clinical advancement of Periodontics, and to promote and maintain high ethical and professional standards among Members.
- To pursue and advance the recognition and acceptance of the practice of Periodontics as a specialist branch of dentistry and to promote its formal recognition as such.
- To make constructive recommendations to Members in relation to the practice of Periodontics or the practice of dentistry in the field of Periodontics.
- To maintain affiliation with the Australian and New Zealand Dental Associations, and the Royal Australasian College of Dental Surgeons through the Division of Periodontics, and to seek or grant affiliation with any other body or association of Periodontists upon such terms and conditions as shall best further the objectives of the Academy.
- To promote and support the activities of the Australian Society of Periodontology and the New Zealand Society of Periodontology.
- To hold regular meetings of Members.
- To encourage a desirable standard of periodontal training for undergraduate dental students in Australian and New Zealand universities.
- To encourage, support and monitor the attainment of desirable standards of post graduate training for Periodontists in Australia and New Zealand.
- To monitor the standards of overseas post graduate training for Periodontists.
- To advise the appropriate Australian and New Zealand registering bodies of the requirements for specialist registration as a Periodontist.
- To encourage the appointment of specialist Periodontists by hospital boards and public bodies and to advise on appropriate qualifications for such appointees.
- To encourage and support periodontal research in Australia and New Zealand.
- To do all such other lawful things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the above objectives.